- During February, deployed a LIBSCAN instrument at a High-Level Waste plant at BNFL's Sellafield site to remotely determine the elemental composition of a number of samples of HLW residues.
- Andrew Whitehouse presented a talk on the use of LIBSCAN to remotely analyse HLW at two conferences held in the USA - Waste Management '03 (Tucson, Arizona) (Presentation: ) and The International High Level Radioactive Waste Management Conference (Las Vegas, Nevada) (Presentation: ).
- Andrew Whitehouse and Jim Young visited a number of research groups during their secondments to the USA, including Los Alamos National Laboratory, Science & Engineering Associates Inc., University of Florida, Ocean Optics Inc., University of South Carolina, Catalina Scientific Corporation, Yucca Mountain High Level Waste Repository project at the Nevada Test Site.
- Launched a new product - a Modular Optical Enclosure System.
- Met with staff from TRADA Technology to discuss the possible use of LIBS to discriminate preservative treated wood from untreated wood during the processing of wood waste. This later led to APL applying to the DTI for an R&D Grant to investigate the feasibility of LIBS for this application.
Andy Whitehouse and Jim Young outside their rented apartment in Santa Fe, New Mexico during their International Secondment to BNFL Instruments Inc